Subject: Re: Fan questions...
From: Barb Hall <[email-masked]>
To: Mike McCool <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Rob K. Williams" <[email-masked]>, Adrian Onsen <[email-masked]>, Lightwave Mailing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:45:32 -0500 (CDT)

**        Just a quicky, about leaving the covers off.  Though it helps 
**with thermal problems, it may create other problems.  I know someone who 
**built a 3000 out of spare parts.  He had no chasis or cover, and had 
**bookoo prob's with all the radio intereference.  

Another problem exists with leaving the cover off.  The fan works on the 
principal that it draws air THROUGH the chassis.  On the 4000 for 
instance, the "vent in" holes are on the right rear (when facing the back 
of the machine) where the video slot/PC slots are.  The fan draws air 
through to the left rear.  The Toaster card runs very hot.  If you also 
have other cards installed (e.g. TBCs or Audio cards), the heat just 
"stacks" up just like the cards.  Without air circulating through the 
machine, you could damage one/all of these boards.

Leaving the cover off the machine won't help much.  The fan won't do a 
thing since it PULLS air through the machine.  With the cover off, you'd 
just be pulling air from the areas immediately surrounding the fan.  
Might not even cool off the '040 nearby or the HDs.

air                 air out           
in                   ^               
_ _ <vent holes    ==== <fan              
______   |    ____   
      |  |    |  | <HDs
slots |  |    |__| 
      |  |   
      |  |    ### <'040 with heat synch
      |  |   

--------------------------------------
Barb Hall  ([email-masked])
Daniel McIntyre Collegiate Institute
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
--------------------------------------

--
Barb Hall <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]